Children under 2 years old who will not turn 2 before the date the trip starts. They must obligatorily travel in the company of their parents (*) or a person responsible for them who must be 18 years or older.
*Includes parents under 18 years of age.
If you prefer the infant to sit in a seat, you'll need to purchase a ticket for your child with a minor fare and adjacent seats will be assigned to you. In this case, for security purposes, the adult passenger must hold the infant in his/her arms during takeoff, landing and whenever the seatbelt sign is on.
Domestic flights: free of charge, not entitled to sit in a seat.
Regional and international flights: 10% of the adult fare, plus applicable taxes and charges, not entitled to sit in a seat.
If the Infant turns 2 years old during the trip, you can either choose to buy the round trip and pay the minor fare with the right to sit in a seat, or buy two separate tickets: the outbound flight with the infant fare and the return flight with the minor fare. The child will not be entitled to sit in a seat during the segment flown as an infant.
Only one Infant per adult may travel together.
Flying by airplane is NOT advisable for newborns under 7 (seven) days old.
We offer bassinets in routes operated by A330 and A340 equipment for babies under 10 kg and less than 70 cm long. In order to make your reservation, you’ll need to contact our Call Center (0810-222-86527) at least 24 hours before the departure of the flight. The reservation and confirmation of the bassinet is conditional and subject to availability in the reserved flight.
Children aged 2 up to and including 11 years old at the time the trip starts. Minors aged 2 up to 5 years old (not having turned 5) must obligatorily travel in the company of their parents (*) or a person responsible for them who must be 18 years or older in the same cabin and in adjacent seats.
Minors aged 5 up to and including 11 years old at the time of the trip starts may travel alone using the unaccompanied minor service (for service details and application, please see the relevant section) or must travel in the company of their parents (*) or a person responsible for them who must be 18 years or older in the same cabin and in adjacent seats.
*Includes parents under 18 years of age.
In Aerolíneas Argentinas/Austral, we are working so you and your children enjoy a more comfortable and safe flight. In compliance with the regulations of the Argentine Civil Aviation Administration (ANAC, for its acronym in Spanish), infants and children may fly using their own Child Restraint System (CRS), which includes child safety seats and/or harnesses authorized for use on board.
In cases in which a CRS is used for special support needs:
• CRS is authorized for individuals of up to 17 years of age, provided their weight conforms to the one indicated in the label.
• You may request completing the MEDIF form for its assessment by the Company’s Medical Service.
• You must make your request through our call center between 10 days and up to 72 business hours prior to the departure time of your flight to inquire about the requirements to be complied with.
If you decide to use one of the authorized CRS for comfort purposes, you should make the reservation at least 48 hours prior to the departure time of your flight.
For more information do not hesitate to contact us at 0810-222-86527.
Requirements that you must meet to use the seat or harness:
• The CRS must comply with the certifications for use in aircraft, which are set out on the labels with one of the following inscriptions:
1. "This child restraint system conforms to all Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards" or "this restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft".
2. Approval from a foreign government or a label showing that the seat was manufactured in accordance with United Nations standards. For seats manufactured in Europe, the label is orange and must include the reference ECE R 44/04, which is the seat’s type approval certification; the word “Universal”, indicating that the seat is approved for installation in any vehicle; the authorized weight range; the letter “E” as an indicator of European approval followed by a number and the seat’s approval and serial number.
3. In the event a Harness is used, the inscription of approval should read as follows: "FAA Approved in Accordance with 14 CFR21.8(d), Approved for Aircraft Use Only" or "FAA Approved in Accordance with 14 CFR 21.305(d), Amd 21.50 6-9-1980, Approved for Aircraft Use Only”. There is only one foreign manufacturer with this certification for harnesses.
If your CRS does not meet the requirements mentioned above and you are planning to book a flight, contact us NO less than 10 business days before the departure of your flight via our Contact Center at 0810-222-86527.
• The accompanying adult is responsible for providing a CRS applicable to the child’s weight and height, and should verify that the CRS is valid for use.
• Children under 2 years traveling in their CRS seats must have a minor fare ticket paid in the same cabin as the adult.
• In the event the label is damaged, worn or illegible, you must produce the CRS manual, which should verify its certifications and include the information related to weight limit and installation instructions.
• The adult must fly in the same cabin as the child in the seat or harness, in the adjacent seat, and is responsible for the CRS’s proper installation on board.
• The CRS must be capable for installation in a 40.5 cm or 16 inches wide seat.
Pre-assignment of seats and restrictions:
CRS may only be used in certain seats according to availability and aircraft configuration. This is why we recommend requesting the seat reservation once the purchase has been made, through our Contact Center at 0810-222-86527, particularly when the seat intended to be installed rear-facing.
At the Airport’s front desk, we will verify if the CRS is authorized for use on board. Therefore, we recommend you show up in advance according to your destination:
Domestic Flights: 120 minutes before the departure time of your flight.
Regional and international flights: 180 minutes before the departure time of your flight.
CRS which do not meet the abovementioned requirements shall be treated as checked baggage.
Booster seats or seats that do not have backs or harness-like seatbelts are NOT allowed for use on board.
For more information, do not hesitate to contact us 24/7 at 0810-222-86527.
Bear in mind that it is your responsibility to learn about the documentation necessary to complete your flight. For more information, please check the National Migrations Office website by clicking here.
The Airport Security Police (PSA, for its acronym in Spanish) has established some rules to strengthen the care and protection of children and adolescents. The PSA requires proof of the authorization for the trip by those who have parental powers over such children, or judicial authorization to the same effect. In this sense, Aerolíneas Argentinas/Austral have been required to cooperate in requesting specific documentation to passengers traveling with minors or when such minors travel alone to/from the provinces of Salta, Jujuy, Catamarca and La Rioja. The documents that must be submitted in each case are detailed below:
Minors traveling alone: They must submit their ID and written authorization from their parents, authenticated by a civil-law notary public or a justice of the peace.
Minors traveling with one companion: They must submit the ID of the persons traveling and an authorization from the parents authenticated by a civil-law notary public or a justice of the peace, which shall include the personal information of the responsible companion traveling with the minor.
Minors traveling with both parents: They must submit the ID of the persons traveling and the birth or marriage certificate for the purpose of evidencing the relationship.
Minors traveling with one parent: They must submit the ID of the persons traveling and the birth or marriage certificate for the purpose of evidencing the relationship.
In the event of failure to comply with any of these requirements, whether in whole or in part, you must go to the PSA office located at the Airport where you are intending to board your flight, since the PSA is the only authority that can authorize or deny boarding (pursuant to the powers granted by Law 26102). For the purpose of cooperating with the PSA and avoiding delays or subsequent problems, Aerolíneas Argentinas/Austral will request the abovementioned documentation to the relevant passengers.
In Aerolíneas Argentinas/Austral, we work so that more children may enjoy the experience of traveling alone. This is why we offer the “Unaccompanied Minor Service.”
This service entails the minor/teenager being chaperoned by the staff of the company throughout all the stages of the trip, from the check in counter to the boarding gate, during the flight and in the destination airport.
-Minors aged 5 up to and including 11 years old must obligatorily hire the “Unaccompanied Minor” service.
-Teenagers aged 12 up to and including 15 years old may travel alone or hire the “Unaccompanied Minor” service, if preferred.
Minors/teenagers may travel alone, provided they do not have contraindication to air travel and provided they are able to:
1. understand the safety instructions provided by the flight crew, and
2. secure the oxygen masks and fasten their seatbelts, and
3. evacuate on their own, in case of emergency.
Minors/Teenagers that do not meet one or more of these requirements must travel accompanied by an adult.
Booking of the unaccompanied minor service has to be done at least 72 hours before the departure time of the flight by calling our Contact Center (0810-222-86527) or at any Sales Office, and confirmation shall be subject to availability in the selected flight.
The unaccompanied minor service is available only for nonstop flights or connecting flights lasting up to 5 hours operated by Aerolíneas Argentinas and Austral.
The parent/caregiver/legal guardian of the minor or teenager must submit the necessary documentation for the trip, according to the destination. When checking in, he/she must fill out and sign the Unaccompanied Minor form, where transport conditions to make the trip possible are notified. The same must contain the personal information of the persons responsible for the minor at the departure and arrival airports, including their given names and surnames, ID, telephone numbers and addresses.
Charges for the Unaccompanied Minor Service:
The charge applies to each segment and each passenger, and varies depending on the destination:
Routes within Argentina: USD 30
Regional Routes: USD 60
International Routes: USD 100
The service charge is refundable, irrespective of the conditions of the applied fee.
The charge applies to award tickets of the Aerolíneas Plus program.
The Unaccompanied Minor Service is not available in the following cases:
• Connecting flights with overnight layovers.
• Connecting flights with connections between Aeroparque and Ezeiza airports in Buenos Aires (AEP/EZE).
• Minors traveling with pets, either in cabin or in the hold.
• Minors traveling with Child Restraint Systems (CRS) onboard.
• Unaccompanied minors with a medical condition that requires the involvement of the Medical Department of the Company.
Before the trip: Do not forget to check the necessary documents according to the minor’s destination. The child must be able to carry his/her carry-on baggage. Explain flight stages to your child and make sure that he/she can identify the uniform of the staff who will accompany him/her throughout the experience.
At the departure airport: It is important to respect show up times:
Domestic Flights: 120 minutes before the departure time.
Regional and international flights: 180 minutes before the departure time.
Remember that you must stay at the airport until our staff confirms that the child’s flight has departed.
At the destination airport: Make sure that the person responsible for the minor is waiting for him/her at the airport with a valid form of identification. Our team will check that the person is the one that was informed in the form at the airport of origin.